Are the gcc build files still needed after section 5.4?

m at de-minimis.co.uk m at de-minimis.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 18:45:35 PDT 2006

> The working directory is important if the target is not an absolute
> path.  That's why we always make them absolute paths in the book.  The
> commands he's showing above will make a symbolic link at the location
> ${PWD}/alpha/beta/gamma/delta/epsilon/link.

The working directory is also important if the item being linked to is not
an absolute path.  Thankfully the BSD and GNU versions seem to agree on
how to handle this for the examples in the book, although the Single Unix
Standard (v3) is non-committal, although tending towards an
interprtetation that differs from that used in LFS.

The Single Unix Standard is meant to be dead now, anyway, and to have been
replaced with Linux Standard Base.  However I find that LSB refers to the
Single Unix Standard (v2) for the behaviour of ln and only specifies a few
changes.

Regards, Max