Are the gcc build files still needed after section 5.4?

Randy McMurchy lfs-user at mcmurchy.com
Mon Jun 5 19:04:46 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 06/05/06 20:37 CST:

> The working directory is important if the target is not an absolute
> path.  That's why we always make them absolute paths in the book.  The
> commands he's showing above will make a symbolic link at the location
> ${PWD}/alpha/beta/gamma/delta/epsilon/link.

Of course it will. And it would use the full path of the source file
because it is not absolute.

I suppose I just see it differently. Understand, the subject now is
if the man page is correct. My interpretation is that it is. The
example shown does exactly what I would expect after looking at the
man page. I'll bow out now as I'm just not seeing the significance
of not using an absolute path so that the target is *relative* to
the source.

It simply makes sense to me that the behavior shown in the examples
would be expected.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.27] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
20:49:00 up 24 days, 12:49, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.17, 0.13