group and user management ...

Jamie Risk jamie_risk at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 14 07:16:56 PDT 2006

Although I've been a long time casual user of *nix, for the first
time I'm administering my own box, in this case LFS 6.1.1.

As such I've never had to think about user and group ID's. The LFS
and BLFS are unapologetically anaemic on this seemingly arbitrary
topic so I was wondering the following:

  * likely, I'll be the only user of the box, what suggestions
    for a 'normal' group should I create my everyday user name
    under?
  * is there a general primer on the topic someone could point
    me to? (googling "Linux group" usually resolves to some
    specific LUG)

Thanks,

- Jamie