group and user management ...

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 09:32:30 PDT 2006

On 6/14/06, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Jamie Risk <jamie_risk at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > As such I've never had to think about user and group ID's. The LFS
> > and BLFS are unapologetically anaemic on this seemingly arbitrary
> > topic
>
> Chapter 3 of BLFS.
> It points to Linux Standard Base info.
> For everyday use I've got group "users" with gid 100

This is how I have it set up, too, since I like the unprivelaged users
to be lumped together to share files.  You could always make the
common groups more fine-grained as by project.  That's how it's done
at my work.  Fedora creates new users each with their own group the
same as the username by default.  The possibilities are endless.  My
main user on my box is a member of roughly 10 groups.

--
Dan