glibc-2.3.4 make error gconv.o

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:05:25 PDT 2006

On 6/19/06, Steven Vancoillie <steven.vancoillie at chem.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> I then downloaded glibc-2.3.6 and tried to compile that with gcc-4.0.3,
> which worked!
>
> My question: are there any obvious reasons why glibc-2.3.6 would give
> problems if I use it in LFS 6.1.1? I want to keep gcc-3.4.3 on my final
> LFS-system, will this work with glibc-2.3.6?
> The book does say I need version gcc 3.0 or later, but apparently not
> after gcc 4?

This is actually the preferred thing to do since glibc-2.3.6 includes
bug fixes that aren't in glibc-2.3.4.  However, the LFS stable book
has been thoroughly tested with the combination of glibc-2.3.4 and
gcc-3.4.3.  So, the most reliable results would happen with that pair.
 This doesn't mean it's unsafe to use glibc-2.3.6.  Ideally, there are
no major changes between 2.3.4 and 2.3.6.  Just bug and security
patches.  However, if you decided to go with glibc-2.4, then you'd be
wading into unchartered waters.

> If I should stick with the book: how can I easily use gcc-3.4 on my
> host? The packages are allready installed, but I'm not sure if I can
> just use /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 and how to point the glibc-2.3.4 configure
> script to this version?

gcc-3.4.x will be the only gcc on your final system.  You won't have
to do anything special to make it work.  After you install gcc-pass2,
you'll be using gcc-3.4.x exclusively for the rest of the build.

> To conclude: which options seems best:
> 1) using glibc-2.3.6 in lfs 6.1.1
> 2) trying to use gcc-3.4 and keep glibc.2.3.4, in which case I'm
> wondering how to make the configure script of glibc-2.3.4 use gcc-3.4?
> (I never edited any configure script or Makefile before and I'm a bit
> lost there)

All that's important is that your host compiler is gcc-4.0.3, and it's
having trouble compiling glibc-2.3.4.  There's a possibility that
Ubuntu has a gcc-3.4.x package.  In that case, you can usually pass
the location of the gcc you want to use to configure through the CC
variable.  I.e.,

CC="/the/path/to/gcc-3.4" ./configure ...

But if glibc-2.3.6 works with your host compiler, that's preferred in my mind.

--
Dan