glibc-2.3.4 make error gconv.o

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon Jun 19 10:47:44 PDT 2006

Steven Vancoillie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first post on lfs-support and mailing lists in general.
> (I did read the netiquette and stuff). Just for information: this is
> also my first try at setting up lfs.
>
> Following the LFS-book 6.1.1, in chapter 5.6 I tried to compile
> glibc-2.3.4 with gcc.4.0.3 (host ubuntu 6.06 kernel 2.6.15-25-386) and
> it failed with an error concerning gconv.o.
>
> I'm not posting the error message, as I found the same thing on these
> mailing list archives and there someone stated that compiling
> glibc-2.3.4 with gcc 4 and beyond was a problem:
>
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2006-March/056418.html
>

> I then downloaded glibc-2.3.6 and tried to compile that with gcc-4.0.3,
> which worked!

You should not use any different versions from what's in the book. If
you follow the instructions in the book, it *will* work. You shouldn't
even be compiling glibc with GCC 4 since LFS 6.1.1 uses GCC 3.4.3. If
you *are* using the host's compiler, it is because you missed a step
somewhere. What is the output of these commands, as the lfs user...

echo $PATH
ls /tools/bin/gcc