LFS build OS

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:13:52 PDT 2006

On 6/29/06, Ross Cameron <ross.cameron at linuxpro.co.za> wrote:
> Hi there,.. whats the "official" if there is... build distro for LFS?

There isn't.  Supposedly the build should bootstrap from any distro
supplying the development tools mentioned in Host Requirements.  This
is not always the case, though, and I don't think it's that widely
tested.  I know there were some problems with FC5 building the early
parts of Ch. 5 (binutils-pass1) because its toolchain is _too_ new for
the versions in the LFS book.  I don't know if that's definitive.  I
did my first build from FC3.  Debian is probably a really safe bet to
have sane development tools.

Unfortunately, most of the people developing these books are playing
exclusively on LFS systems.  So, the initial boostrapping doesn't get
as much testing as it should.

> I'd like to start playing with it with the minimum of hassle and effort,
> I don't mind swapping host OS's.

I'd go with whatever you've got right now as long as it passes the
Host Requirements.  Chances are it will work.  If not, the Live CD is
an excellent alternative that has been used by many editors to
bootstrap builds.

--
Dan