Anyone succesfully set up LFS on colinux?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 30 15:56:57 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 04:52:07PM -0400, Wei Hu wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've searched the internet but didn't see any posts related to my problem.
>
> Before I installed LFS I was using colinux-0.7.1-hn15 (with kernel
> 2.6.12 patched by colinux) and gentoo.
> Recently I tried to install LFS SVN-20060619 on top of colinux.

 Ugh!  Basically you are on your own - LFS should work fine if you
follow the _whole_ book, but if you skip parts of it (such as
building the specified kernel version) you will get all sorts of
problems.

 We also recommend a clean root filesystem without anything left
over from a previous install.

> However, after I set up everything and reboot, udev seemed to not work
> properly.
> After it output "Populating /dev with device nodes" for a while it
> reported a red [Failure] to me.
> Afterwards a lot of programs reported errors related to some files or
> devices missing, and then the system froze.

 Probably, the sysfs changes since 2.6.12 (I think they were mainly
between 2.6.14 and 2.6.15) are to blame.  One reason you didn't find
anything on google is that this has nothing to do with colinux, but
the main reason is that you are going against the grain - there were
some issues in upgrading to a newer kernel with the old udev, but
almost nobody attempts to use an older kernel with newer userspace.

> udev also complained that the file /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug was missing.
> Since I didn't rebuild kernel and simply used the kernel shipped with
> colinux, the kernel didn't have hotplug support.
> So I rebuilt the kernel to enable hotplug.
> However the failure of populating /dev didn't go away.

 You have a kernel config , so why don't you use the version of
2.6.16 in the book (or the current 2.6.16 version), copy that config
to .config, then answer each of the questions from 'make oldconfig'
?

Ken