Anyone succesfully set up LFS on colinux?

Wei Hu wei.hoo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 18:14:18 PDT 2006

On 6/30/06, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 04:52:07PM -0400, Wei Hu wrote:
> > However, after I set up everything and reboot, udev seemed to not work
> > properly.
> > After it output "Populating /dev with device nodes" for a while it
> > reported a red [Failure] to me.
> > Afterwards a lot of programs reported errors related to some files or
> > devices missing, and then the system froze.
> >

>  Probably, the sysfs changes since 2.6.12 (I think they were mainly
> between 2.6.14 and 2.6.15) are to blame.  One reason you didn't find
> anything on google is that this has nothing to do with colinux, but
> the main reason is that you are going against the grain - there were
> some issues in upgrading to a newer kernel with the old udev, but
> almost nobody attempts to use an older kernel with newer userspace.
>
>  You have a kernel config , so why don't you use the version of
> 2.6.16 in the book (or the current 2.6.16 version), copy that config
> to .config, then answer each of the questions from 'make oldconfig'
> ?

The problem is that in order to run Linux kernel on top of Windows,
colinux has to patch Linux's source code.  Up till now they only have
patch for 2.6.12, so I won't be able to get 2.6.16 working.

I guess I'll either have to wait until the patch for 2.6.16 come out,
or figure out the version of udev my working Gentoo is using.