eth0 not detected

randhir phagura rsphagura at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 07:08:54 PDT 2006

Hi,

Howard wrote on Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:29:57 -0400:

>>Randhir Phagura wrote
>>I have a working lfs-6.1.1 (svn-20051019) on my P-III laptop.
>>
>>I have installed "merged branch" lfs-svn-20060423 on another partition.
>>There was no problems during install of the new lfs. I have configured
>>kernel-2.6.16.5 to include network card and all the other devices as in my
>>earlier lfs-6.1.1.

>What was you older kernel?
>What "lsmod" show?
>How does that compare to new kernel?

>pcmcia card services are mostly compiled into the kernel from 2.6.13 up.  I
>have not seen a system using it yet so I don't know what modules you need
>loaded for it to work correctly.
>Do you have pcmcia card services running right?
>Are there any other cards working?
>If you suspect pcmcia is not correct try some research starting at:
>http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
>And follow the howto progress up to 2.6.13.

The kernel in my old lfs6.1.1 is '2.6.14'. So that portion is OK.

There is no pcmcia involved, because the network card is a built-in one on
intel chipset mother-board. The network card is:
'Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)'

And the driver for this card is compiled into the kernel (not as a module).

This is the only network card on the system and I am not using any pcmcia
card of any kind.

And the new kernel on the new lfs under fire is '2.6.16.5'. The fact is that
this kernel compiled on the new system does not detect the network card over
there, but when copied to the old system and the old system booted with this
kernel, it detects the card.

I am, therefore, inclined to conclude that the problem may be related to the
new "udev-hotplug and merged branch" interplay.

Can anyone throw some light on this issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Randhir Phagura