eth0 not detected

randhir phagura rsphagura at hotmail.com
Tue May 2 07:11:22 PDT 2006

Hi,

Ken Moffat wrote on Mon, 1 May 2006 19:37:09 +0100:

>On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 02:08:54PM +0000, randhir phagura wrote:
>>
>>And the driver for this card is compiled into the kernel (not as a
>>module).
>>
>>This is the only network card on the system and I am not using any pcmcia
>>card of any kind.
>>
>>And the new kernel on the new lfs under fire is '2.6.16.5'. The fact is
>>that this kernel compiled on the new system does not detect the network
>>card over there, but when copied to the old system and the old system
>>booted with this kernel, it detects the card.
>>
>Just to be absolutely clear, when you say the kernel on the new
>system  does not detect the network card, you mean that dmesg has no
>references to eth0 ?

No the kernel does detect but does not bring-up eth0.

The dmesg gives the following, as related to eth0:

eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:02:A5:A4:3F:BF, IRQ 11.
  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
  Board assembly 729857-001, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).
  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.
e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.4.14-k2-NAPI
e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation

The dmesg is similar to my older LFS booted with kernel-2.6.14.

>>I am, therefore, inclined to conclude that the problem may be related to
>>the new "udev-hotplug and merged branch" interplay.
>>
>>Can anyone throw some light on this issue?
>>

>Your analysis sounds unlikely to me, although not impossible.  So
>far, you seem to be the only person reporting this.  Merging the
>udev branch should not affect a built in-nic because it is not
>hotplugged, and udev does not allocate a device node for it.

>If it isn't a kernel problem as shown by dmesg, my guess is that
>something is wrong in your bootscripts or /etc/sysconfig - I think
>there has been some change there over the past months.

I have installed lfs-bootscripts-20060415, as applicable to this particular
edition of LFS.

I have generally compared the contents of '/etc/sysconfig/network-devices'
files (ifconfig.eth0/ipv4, ifup, ifdown, services/ipv4-static/) as well as
/etc/rc.d/init.d/{network,rc,functions} in both my systems. These seem
identical.

If there was some problem in bootscripts, then someone else also would have
reported problems.

I am at a loss to diagnose the problem.

Would you need any more info from me for diagnosis?

Thanks and Regards.

Randhir Phagura