eth0 not detected

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 2 07:52:52 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:11:22PM +0000, randhir phagura wrote:

> No the kernel does detect but does not bring-up eth0.
>
> The dmesg gives the following, as related to eth0:
>
> eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:02:A5:A4:3F:BF, IRQ 11.
>  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
>  Board assembly 729857-001, Physical connectors present: RJ45
>  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
>  General self-test: passed.
>  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
>  Internal registers self-test: passed.
>  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).
>  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.
> e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.4.14-k2-NAPI
> e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation
>
> The dmesg is similar to my older LFS booted with kernel-2.6.14.

 In other words, the kernel appears to be working correctly -
bringing up network interfaces happens in userspace.  Both kernels
work on the old system, so the problem must be either in the
bootscripts, or in what they are executing.

> >If it isn't a kernel problem as shown by dmesg, my guess is that
> >something is wrong in your bootscripts or /etc/sysconfig - I think
> >there has been some change there over the past months.
>
> I have installed lfs-bootscripts-20060415, as applicable to this particular
> edition of LFS.
>
> I have generally compared the contents of '/etc/sysconfig/network-devices'
> files (ifconfig.eth0/ipv4, ifup, ifdown, services/ipv4-static/) as well as
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/{network,rc,functions} in both my systems. These seem
> identical.
>
> If there was some problem in bootscripts, then someone else also would have
> reported problems.
>
> I am at a loss to diagnose the problem.
>
> Would you need any more info from me for diagnosis?

 From here, I very much doubt that I *can* diagnose it.
Unfortunately, I'm a novice on using the current tools to diagnose
why a network connection doesn't come up, and I haven't seen the
problem here.    Meanwhile, I'm convinced you have something
incorrect in the the application of the bootscripts.

 Maybe you could look at the bootscripts to see what gets executed
when the interface is supposed to be brought up, and try to step
through the commands so that you can see any error messages - or
even add a lot of "echo" messages, and perhaps sleeps, into the
script so that it will give you debugging info when the system boots
(the sleeps would be to keep the output on the screen for long
enough to read it).

Ken