About packagemanagement: using extended attributes. + different idea

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 2 09:48:58 PDT 2006

On 5/2/06, Stef Bon <stef at bononline.tk> wrote:

> paco.sourceforge.net
>
> and discovered that paco is..... originally written to aid package
> management when installing an LFS system. Oh I've missed something here!

It works very nicely, and David Rosal (the developer) builds LFS
systems, so you know you're supported.  It is a very easy way to get
out of the box package management.  The file listing and package
removal functions are very nice, too.

However, this package doesn't include the extended attributes support
you were referring to.  Seems to me that there would only be a couple
sane ways to add this information, and both would require using an
additional package management technique.

1. Install to a DESTDIR, set the xattr on all the files, then install
the files to /.

2. Install to / with some file logging technique.  Set the xattr after
the install.

A more in depth technique would be to become a C programmer and write
your own LD_PRELOAD library to capture the syscalls as Matthias said.
If you have knowledge of C, you could probably modify the paco source
code to your means.

--
Dan