LFS 6.1.1: how to boot from a SCSI hard drive with grub?

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Tue May 2 15:40:21 PDT 2006

I've come to 8.4. Making the LFS System Bootable. I already built LFS on a SCSI hard drive with the following /boot/grub/menu.lst
file:

default 0
timeout 3
color green/black light-green/black
title LFS 6.1.1
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.11.12 root=/dev/sda2 ro hdc=ide-scsi apm=off acpi=on

LFS was built on /dev/sda2, the swap partition was created on /dev/sda1. When I
boot the LFS, I get the following messages:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I configured the kernel w/o support for modules (see attached file for all options).
How can I boot the LFS system from the SCSI hard drive?