LFS 6.1.1: how to boot from a SCSI hard drive with grub?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 2 17:28:25 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:40:21AM +0300, Angel Tsankov wrote:
> I've come to 8.4. Making the LFS System Bootable. I already built LFS on a
> SCSI hard drive with the following /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
>
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.11.12 root=/dev/sda2 ro hdc=ide-scsi apm=off
> acpi=on
>

> How can I boot the LFS system from the SCSI hard drive?

 First, the good news - with the possible exception of the
root=/dev/sda2 parameter, your menu.lst is ok because the kernel
loaded.

 So, this might be another "why can't I read the root filesystem?"
question.  Among the things that can cause this are:

 Failing to include the correct drivers - I assume you are using the
QLA SCSI driver

 Failing to build the correct filesystem into the kernel (I didn't
check this on your config)

 Specifying the wrong device in root=/dev/sda2 - if your machine is
slow enough (!) you might be able to see what devices are reported
by the kernel before it fails to mount the root fs.  Sometimes,
particular combinations of add-in cards can cause the disks to not
be where you think they will be (/dev/sdc2, for example).

 Occasionally, problems with dynamic devices.  2.6.11.12 is very
old, I don't recall if there were problems with udev and scsi in
those days, but I seem to remember that scsi didn't always play
nicely with sysfs.  Also, if the underlying /dev/null on the new
system is not present as a device (e.g. accidentally using
 >$LFS/dev/null before the device exists) you will not be able to
boot, but the symptoms should be slightly different.

 Did the drive show up as /dev/sda when you installed onto it ?  If
so, are you using the same config ?

Ken