grub doesn't find the root disk

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Wed May 3 15:28:02 PDT 2006

marco van der grient wrote:
> Hi,
> For some reason the complete install went just fine (good job LFS!) but
> making the system bootable was a problem:
> when I chroot into the system (from the live CD), call grub, I get
> errors about not finding the root disk (not a block device).
> When I want to check the disk with fdisk or cfdisk, /dev/hdb It can not
> be find. When I logout the chroot envirioment fdisk or cfdisk does find
> the HD... A puzzel to me. Any thoughts or maybe concrete help on this?
> Regards,
> Marco

Hi,

Before you re-enter chroot you need to carry out the previous commands
in the book to mount /dev and /proc (IIRC) and run /sbin/udevstart. If
you don't do these things, /dev is basically empty inside chroot...

/sys too) are dealt with and repeat those commands before entering
chroot (using the revised chroot, not the earlier one)

HTH

Al