eth0 not detected

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 3 21:11:21 PDT 2006

randhir phagura wrote:

> # ip addr show
> 1. Intel: <BPOADCST, MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
>   link/ether 00:02:a5:a4:3f:bf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

<Snip>

> Does this indicate something to you?

Well, yeah.  Unless I'm reading that incorrectly, it appears that the
device normaly refered to as 'eth0' is now 'Intel'.  Does this ring any
bells as to how it was changed?

Though I haven't bothered with persistent naming rules, I'd guess this
will work:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop #This will probably error on you
mv /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 \
     /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.Intel
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start