eth0 not detected

randhir phagura rsphagura at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 08:03:33 PDT 2006

Hi,

DJ Lucas wrote on Wed, 03 May 2006 23:11:21:

>randhir phagura wrote:
>
>># ip addr show
>>1. Intel: <BPOADCST, MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000
>>   link/ether 00:02:a5:a4:3f:bf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
><Snip>
>
>>Does this indicate something to you?
>
>Well, yeah.  Unless I'm reading that incorrectly, it appears that the
>device normaly refered to as 'eth0' is now 'Intel'.  Does this ring any
>bells as to how it was changed?
>
>Though I haven't bothered with persistent naming rules, I'd guess this will
>work:
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop #This will probably error on you
>mv /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 \
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.Intel
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

Yesss. It worked !! I was really at a loss. Thanks so much for your very
efficient diagnosis. It looked a complicated and buggy case.

I really have no idea when and how 'eth0' got changed to 'intel' (it is
actually intel and NOT Intel as I had written).

Can this be changed back to 'eth0'? 'intel' does look out of place and not a
standard terminology.

Well, thanks a lot once again.

Regards,

Randhir Phagura