Section 5.8

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 6 17:03:10 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 04:22:12PM -0700, elmarsa dice wrote:
> Started section 5.8 per directions in the book.  I am installing from
> the live CD.  Everything going ok till it stopped with the following
> note:
>
> checking installed linux kernal header files... TOO OLD
> Configure error:  GNU glibc requires kernel header files
> from Linux-2.0.10 to be installed before configuring.

> I checked that all directories were present and I know the cd is
> later than linux-2.0.10.  I did notice when doing section 5.6.1 that
> the instructions say to uses asm-386 but it wasn't on the live cd so
> I used asm which was.  In my tools/glibc-kernheaders directory I have
> /asm /asm-generic and /linux which is as it should be.  In
> /tools/include I also have asm.  Any ideas on how to get around this
> hold up is appreciated.
>
> elmarsa

 I think this is an old version of the book ? (certainly,
glibc-kernheaders sounds old).  I'm not familiar with the Live CDs,
and slightly surprised that asm-i386 isn't there - surely the full
version of whatever is being used to supply these headers [ sounds
like the kernel, and probably an old linux-libc-headers for
everything except glibc ] is on the CD ?

 As with all the other packages, you have to extract the relevant
tarball and cd into it.

 And just in case that comes across as unhelpful, if you think you
have followed the book's instructions, please specify which version
of the book, (but don't expect a quick response, I'm on my way to
shutting down for the night).

Ken