LFS 6.1.1: eth0 doesn't exist

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sun May 7 11:09:23 PDT 2006

Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Having built LFS 6.1.1, I restarted the PC and got the following:
>
> Bringing up the eth0 interface...
>    Interface eth0 doesn't exist.    [ WARN ]
>
> What might be wrong?

You need to compile support for your ethernet card into your kernel.
Install pciutils then run /usr/sbin/lspci, it will give you some info
about what hardware you have installed. Recompile your kernel and when
you do make menuconfig, look at Device Drivers  ---> Network device
support  ---> Ethernet (there are three different sub menus) for a
device which matches what lspci told you. If nothing matches, ask Google.

Andy