PCMCIA network card and udev

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Mon May 8 00:39:37 PDT 2006

Hi!

I've installed the LFS with latest udev, also I've used the udev rules
creation config from Udev Update Branch. As far as I can see, when I
plug my card in, the driver for it is loaded. So, I assume that this is
handled by the line

ACTION=="add", ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe $env{MODALIAS}"

Now, I need to provide additional configuration for the card (actually
it is WLAN card), so I need to run couple of scripts and then let DHCP to
configure the IP and other stuff. Where would be the best place to add
them?

It looks like I can simply put specific check in udev-rules and then run
the script that does everything. On the other hand, there is 'ifup' and
'ifdown' that are supposed to do networking configuration, but those
don't do anything outside of it (ie, they can't run wpa_supplicant
etc.) Well, I can add special service there...

There are so many ways to do it, that I feel slightly at loss :) Anyone
can give general guidelines?