tty error on a debian sarge host

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 12 15:59:23 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 11:43:50PM +0100, Georgina Joyce wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:52:05PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >  You are in chapter 6 ?  For the *stable* book (6.1.1), /dev/pts and
> > /dev/shm are mounted at the end of section 6.8.2.  If you interrupt
> > the build and exit chroot, that part (6.8.2) has to be repeated.
> Thanks, I've only got up to 6.1.3 where there's a strong urge to check the enviroment.  Which for the first time, I get the error message.
>
> I enter chroot by running the following script:
>

> #!/bin/sh
> mount -vt proc proc $LFS/proc
> mount -vt sysfs sysfs $LFS/sys
>  mount -vft tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/dev
> mount -vft tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/dev/shm
> mount -vft devpts -o gid=4,mode=620 devpts $LFS/dev/pts
>  chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin /tools/bin/bash --login +h
>
> Which are the commands given for entering chroot so far.
>

> Regards
> Gena

 Thanks for the explanation, but now I'm more confused.  Looking at
the stable book online, there is no 6.1.3.  Ah, your reference to
binutils implies 6.13, in which case you should have passed through
6.8 (populating /dev) and particularly 6.8.2 *after* you entered
chroot - /dev/pts gets mounted near the end of that page, just
before the note to disregard a specific warning message.

 To repeat myself, you need to repeat the commands in 6.8.2 each
time you enter chroot.

 The mounts which you copied into your script are fake mounts, to
keep the host system aware of what is going on.

Ken