Permission Denied for /dev/null in glibc ch.6

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Wed May 17 04:01:06 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I'm building again, this time from a RHEL (Selinux) based system  called
Scientific Linux. I have a stubborn error as per the subject line in
glibc on chapter 6 I have one console in the nALFS profile and one set
up as per the lfs-6.1.1-1 stable book.

touch /dev/null - succeeds
echo "fart" > /dev/null gets permission denied error.
echo "fart" > /dev/file succeeds
/dev/null is 0666

I have exited all consoles and logged on afresh, as the archives
suggest. The faq doesn't solve it either. There's no fstab, or mtab, but
cat /proc/mounts gives me thisis

[dec at genius /]$ cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
none /selinux selinuxfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /cdos vfat rw,nodiratime,uid=500,gid=500,fmask=0022,dmask=0022
0 0
/dev/hda5 /ddos vfat rw,nodiratime,uid=500,gid=500,fmask=0022,dmask=0022
0 0
/dev/hda6 /lfs6 ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hda7 /hlfs ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
proc /lfs6/proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
sysfs /lfs6/sys sysfs rw 0 0

so I'm getting some options carried over into the LFS environment.

Any ideas?
--
        With Best Regards,

        Declan Moriarty.