Permission Denied for /dev/null in glibc ch.6

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 17 05:09:28 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:01:06PM +0100, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm building again, this time from a RHEL (Selinux) based system  called
> Scientific Linux. I have a stubborn error as per the subject line in
> glibc on chapter 6 I have one console in the nALFS profile and one set
> up as per the lfs-6.1.1-1 stable book.
>
> touch /dev/null - succeeds
> echo "fart" > /dev/null gets permission denied error.
> echo "fart" > /dev/file succeeds
> /dev/null is 0666

 I have no idea how selinux works, but I suppose one possibility is
that you aren't allowed to create devices here with the current
policies.

 But, in some ways this resembles missing devices.  Specifically,
some or all of them might be regular files.  What does ls -l in /dev
(chroot, obviously) show ?  NB I mean /dev in the tmpfs, not the
underlying /dev.

 If it is a selinux thing, you might be able to get round it by
using mount --bind from outside chroot to mount /dev over the
minimal /mnt/lfs/dev (you will still need to ensure the minimal dev
has null and console before you try to boot the new system).

HTH

Ken