SELinux & Permission Denied for /dev/null in glibc ch.6 - Solved

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Thu May 18 01:35:05 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 21:02 +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:
> Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > There are two modes of SELinux, the full monty and a 'targeted' mode. By
> > default distros are using the targeted mode, which targets a number of
> > server daemons, including syslogd.
> You might be able to turn it off by setting it to permissive mode. Try

Indeed it appears you are able to turn it off.
Here's /etc/selinux/config, as in Scientific Linux. As it's a kernel
thingy, I presume a reboot would be needed.

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=enforcing
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

I got going, meanwhile, in HLFS, for the record. It appears that user
lfs had his home dir (therefore config files) moved in my fooling around
and letting nALFS loose. /home/lfs had no .bashrc or profile. That got
me away from that stupid "suffix of executables" error. That built up to
glibc pass1 with de_DE.iso8859-1 only crapping out big time.

Given the choice, I'll build in hlfs as I trust the build system better.

Thanks for the ideas and help