perl 5.8.7 no perl or pod2man

Klaus Sinfelt khsny at verizon.net
Thu May 18 12:21:51 PDT 2006

Hi,
Linux From Scratch book v. 6.1.1, chapter 5.32.1, p. 72
I am booting from and using the sources from the LFS live CD
(lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.iso)

perl and pod2man seem to be missing.

I installed perl as follows

1)  I have applied the patch:         patch -Np1 -i
../perl-5.8.7-libc-1.patch

2)  Prepared perl for compilation:         ./configure.gnu
--prefix=/tools  -Dstatic_ext='IO Fcntl POSIX'

3)  Built some utilities:      make perl utilities

4) Because it was not recommended, I did not run:         make test

5)  The problem occurs when trying to copy perl and pod2man to
/tools/bin:           cp  -v  perl   pod/pod2man /tools/bin

When running the cp command, I get the following:
     cp: cannot stat 'perl' : No such file or directory
     cp: cannot stat 'pod2man' : No such file or directory

I am in the Perl-5.8.7 directory.  In this directory, there are several
files named perl with various extensions (perl.c, perl.h, perl.o), but
I cannot find a file named perl that hasn't an extension.  Similarly,
there is a subdirectory named pod, but within this directory I can only
find pod2man.PL (no pod2man without extension).

Obviously I am missing something.  I am new to Linux (an intense 5
weeks) but I have been able to resolve the few problems I have
encountered with LFS by means of the faq and hint pages.  This one,
however, has got my stumped.  Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
Klaus