perl 5.8.7 no perl or pod2man

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 18 12:47:50 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 03:21:51PM -0400, Klaus Sinfelt wrote:
> Hi,
> Linux From Scratch book v. 6.1.1, chapter 5.32.1, p. 72
> I am booting from and using the sources from the LFS live CD
> (lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.iso)
>
> perl and pod2man seem to be missing.
>
> I installed perl as follows
>
> 1)  I have applied the patch:         patch -Np1 -i
> ../perl-5.8.7-libc-1.patch
>
> 2)  Prepared perl for compilation:         ./configure.gnu
> --prefix=/tools  -Dstatic_ext='IO Fcntl POSIX'
>
> 3)  Built some utilities:      make perl utilities
>
> 4) Because it was not recommended, I did not run:         make test
>
> 5)  The problem occurs when trying to copy perl and pod2man to
> /tools/bin:           cp  -v  perl   pod/pod2man /tools/bin
>
> When running the cp command, I get the following:
>     cp: cannot stat 'perl' : No such file or directory
>     cp: cannot stat 'pod2man' : No such file or directory

 On the face of it, you had errors in parts (4) and perhaps (3)
above.  If you didn't catch them, blow away the directory and
repeat, but this time try

./configure.gnu --prefix=/tools -Dstatic_ext='IO Fcntl POSIX' \
 >perllog 2>&1; echo "status $?"

 If the status is other than 0, configure has failed and you can
consult the log to find out why.  If it is ok so far, build it with

make perl utilities >>perllog 2>&1 ; echo "status $?"

 Either that will fail, or you should be able to install.

Ken