LFS Version SVN-20060501 - GCC-4.0.3 - compilation fails

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 18 14:37:24 PDT 2006

On 5/18/06, Mag. Leonhard Landrock <1977-Hamlet at gmx.at> wrote:

> Sorry to ask, but what are the important symlinks?

These guys:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/createfiles.html

> I did some kind of logging for _all_ steps within the LFS building. I just
> wrote every single command to a text file.

By this do you mean that you put all the commands in a script or that
you logged all the commands to one file?

If you're scripting, you have to be very careful.  You need to know
that the script will continue unless you have some sort of error
handling scheme.  If you don't a crucial step might not have worked.
This could lead to a bizarre error later like the one you're
receiving.

> export LFS=/media/sdb3
> mount -v /dev/sdb3 $LFS
> su - lfs

If you're rebooting the machine, you must make sure that you remount
/dev and enter the chroot correctly.  This is another step that can
cause bizarre errors.  Read the note at the bottom of this page:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/chroot.html

> Might it be of any use to post this log?

Not yet.  It would be beneficial for you to search through the log for
"Error" or "ERROR" or some variant.  Make sure that your problem
didn't actually start much earlier.

> > What kind of host are you building on?
>
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux testing.
>
> uname -a
> Linux veneto 2.6.15-1-686 #2 Mon Mar 6 15:27:08 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

I've never built from Debian, but they put together solid systems.
I'd be surprised if Debian was the cause of your problems.  If you're
desperate, you can try to run the build from the LFS LiveCD.  This is
a known good host that people around here have used with good success.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/

--
Dan