(no subject)

Klaus Sinfelt khsny at verizon.net
Wed May 24 09:09:48 PDT 2006

Hi,
Linux From Scratch book v. 6.1.1, chapter 5.32.1, p. 72
I am booting from and using the sources from the LFS live CD
(lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.iso)

I've gotten almost all the way through ch. 6 and have run into a
problem, -- I think it has something
to do with my inexperience or not fully understanding the chroot
environment.  the problem occurs
in 6.61 "Stripping Again" and in 6.62 "Cleaning Up" (pages 190-191 of
Linux From Scratch book 6.1.1.

1) Exited from chroot by issuing:

logout

2) Reentered with:

chroot $LFS  /tools/bin/env -i  \
	HOME=/root  TERM=$TERM  PS1='\u:\w\$ '  \
	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin  \
	/tools/bin/bash  --login

3)  With (2) above, I encountered the first problem - I received a
message that
/tools/bin/env does not exist.  So I checked the $LFS variable with:

echo $LFS

It was no longer set, so I reset it with:

export LFS =/mnt/lfs

checked it with:

echo $LFS

and received: /mnt/lfs

After that, step (2) above worked fine.

4)  On to part 6.62 "Cleaning Up."  I exited and reentered the the
chroot
environment using the modified command specified in the book (p.191):

chroot $LFS  /usr/bin/env -i  \
	HOME=/root  TERM="$TERM"  PS1='\u:\w\$ '  \
	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin  \
	/bin/bash  --login

This time, I received another "not found" error for /usr/bin/env.  So I
checked
/mnt/lfs/usr/bin and, of course, discovered that env was missing.  (It
is, however, in
/usr/bin/, but not in /mnt/lfs/usr/bin).  As mentioned, I am booting
from and using the
source files from the lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.iso.

5)  What to do?  I am concerned that I may have installed all the
programs from the wrong
environment.  This is just a guess, as I am really new to this.  I
would hate to
turn back now.  Is there anything I can do?

Also - thanks for the help in my first problem at the end of ch. 5
regarding the
missing perl and pod2man files.

Klaus Sinfelt