iproute-2.6.1? for linux-2.6.15

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 29 13:33:32 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 11:05:35PM +0400, Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:
> Hi, everybody!
>
> Just a simple question: should I use iproute2-2.6.16* or
> iproute2-2.6.15* if I use the kernel 2.6.15, NOT 2.6.16?

 I'm not sure I understand your question -

 If you have an old system, iproute2 is not something that most
people would bother to upgrade (and in that situation I wouldn't
take the risk of trying it with an older kernel).

 If you are following the development book, why would you not use a
2.6.16 kernel ?  2.6.15 is not maintained, although you might be
able to find back-ported bugfixes in e.g.ubuntu (because they seem
to be using 2.6.15 for dapper drake).

 Even if you are using an older system, you might be able to use
recent kernels on it.  I think that 2.6.15 was supposed to be the
version that needed a newer udev (although for my use it did in fact
work for older udev versions) so from 2.6.15, moving to
2.6.16.latest should be a simple 'zcat /proc/config.gz >.oldconfig'
(if you have the config in proc) and 'make oldconfig', but always
keep an old kernel around until you have tested the new one to make
sure everything works (the config system is better than in 2.4, but
upgrades still occasionally break things such as iptables).

Ken