iproute-2.6.1? for linux-2.6.15

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 29 17:04:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 01:37:35AM +0400, Vladimir A. Pavlov wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> Linux-2.6.16 seems trying to kill my ext3 partition. When booting in
> Gentoo based on 2.6.16.18 (built directly from ftp.kernel.org, not
> using portage if you know what I mean) I periodically got a message
> saying that fsck had returned a value between 1 and 3 and "Filesystem
> errors were corrected". The error doesn't appear with 2.6.15.

 I don't know about the value, but on LFS and CLFS I often get this
when an fsck is due (and for my desktop boxes, that happens
frequently).  I can't associate it with any particular kernel
version, and so far I haven't seen any problems, nor have I been
motivated to hack my bootscripts to determine exactly what error
code is returned, nor to look at e2fsprogs to understand what the
various codes imply.

> I think I shouldn't use linux-2.6.16 in this situation.
>
> > 2.6.15 is not maintained
>
> And what? A few weeks/months 2.6.16 won't be maintained as well.

 Your system, your security decisions, your opportunity to look at
each kernel CVE, decide if it matters to you, and try to backport
the fix if it does :-(

 Assuming for a moment that you are indeed seeing a real problem,
Unless you can identify where it started (i.e. find a way to
trigger it reliably, then work through the different kernels and -rc
versions) you are going to be stuck on 2.6.15.  Personally, I don't
think that ext3 errors being fixed in an fsck is at all abnormal (I
prefer them to be fixed), but then it isn't my hardware.  If you are
using an IDE or SATA disk and you suspect problems with the drive,
you might benefit from using smartmontools to monitor it.

 For most people, sticking with 2.6.15 is not a sensible option,
so I'll be very surprised if anyone can tell you if iproute-2.6.16
will work with an older kernel.

 I'm afraid my standards are lower than those implied by your .sig,
so you are free to disregard my views if you can find a more
productive way to get to grips with this technical problem.

Ken