Make error in glibc

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon May 3 20:40:03 PDT 2010

On 05/03/2010 10:24 PM, gaurav k wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> This is my first mail to the list- I'm a relative newbie- though not a
> complete Linux noob who is clueless about what is happening.
>
> I have not deviated from the book at all, the only possible difference
> might be any differences in the host system requirement. For example,
> /bin/sh is not a symlink to bash, but I've only used bash throughout.

Yeah, that's not a problem.

> I went through a few of the mail archives, and I realized that I had
> made a mistake in the configparams file - I have rectified it.
>
> $ cat configparams
> CFLAGS += -march=i486 -mtune=native

The problem with configparms would definitely be the cause of the errors
you got, so they should have gone away once you redid it. Did you remove
the source/build directories before trying again?

> My extracted glibc is a subfolder of an independent folder glibc-build.

This is incorrect. Please see page 5.3, particularly in this case the
last "Note" box. It says that for each package, you must unpack the
package tarball, cd into the source dir, *then* follow instructions on
the installation page. Therefore, you should already be in Glibc's
source directory when you create the build dir.

Also, if you have managed to create /mnt/lfs/glibc-build, you had to
have either chowned/chmodded /mnt/lfs, or created glibc-build as root
(or using sudo), neither of which the book says to do. If you did use
chown or chmod on /mnt/lfs, you should change it back (owned by root,
755 perms).