cpuid.h not found

Yan Mo yinoryan at gmail.com
Tue May 11 07:01:26 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:44 AM, jumbophut <jumbophut at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Yan Mo wrote:
> > Hi, I'm new to this. Got upto the Glibc configure part of 5.7.1 in
> > LFS-BOOK-6.6 and its stopping after these messages:
> >
> > checking cpuid.h usability... no
> > checking cpuid.h presence... no
> > checking for cpuid.h... no
> > configure: error: gcc must provide the <cpuid.h> header
> >

> The file cpuid.h is provided by gcc.  Since you do not have the file,
> it is possible that the gcc build in section 5.5.1 failed.  You could
> try repeating that section and carefully checking the output.
>
> On my machine the cpuid.h file appears in
> $LFS/tools/lib/gcc/i686-lfs-linux-gnu/4.4.3/include.
>
> --
> Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi
> /')

My machine also has cpuid.h in
$LFS/tools/lib/gcc/i686-lfs-linux-gnu/4.4.3/include so it makes me wonder if
something is not reverse-compatible with my 800MHz AMD Duron.

I choose my oldest machine to build this in order for my new system to be
compatible with as many machines as possible. Could it be those that benefit
by selling newer hardware are discouraging reverse-compatibility???