GMP incorrectly detects CPU-VENDOR-OS triplet

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:33:42 PDT 2010

Ticket  #2661

On my x86_64 machine ./config.guess script of GMP 5.01 (and 5.00 as
well) returns 'athlon-unknown-linux-gnu' which is incorrectly considered
by ./configure script as 32-bit platform, so it expects sizeof(long) to
be 4, when it is actually 8:

checking compiler cc -O2 -pedantic -fomit-frame-pointer has sizeof
(long)==4... no

which results in a compiler error:

configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log for
details

This bug can be avoided by specifying --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
option to ./configure script, but without knowing that your whole LFS
assembly stops.

Coreutils 8.4

uname -a

Linux lfslivecd 2.6.22.5-64bit #1 SMP Thu Nov 29 07:28:23 GMT 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Looking at GMP. they have two scripts: config.guess and configfsf.guess.
Their config.guess is returning athlon.

You might want to try to run those to test the results.  Looking at the
contents of config.guess, it looks like the cpu is being misidentified.

I'd try copying configfsf.guess to overwrite config.guess and see if
that makes a difference.  Also, what is the contents of `cat /proc/cpuinfo`

   -- Bruce