GMP incorrectly detects CPU-VENDOR-OS triplet

Prashant R Keshvani (Baijoo) prashant2400 at gmail.com
Fri May 14 12:03:06 PDT 2010

Hi, I have faced the same problem. I have used kvm to build LFS,
when I ran configure from GMP, it generate an error saying no suitable
compiler found for pentium2-unlnown-linux-gnu. actually my machine
is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu. I had to manually specify it using build
option.

Regards,

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ticket  #2661
>
> On my x86_64 machine ./config.guess script of GMP 5.01 (and 5.00 as
> well) returns 'athlon-unknown-linux-gnu' which is incorrectly considered
> by ./configure script as 32-bit platform, so it expects sizeof(long) to
> be 4, when it is actually 8:
>
> checking compiler cc -O2 -pedantic -fomit-frame-pointer has sizeof
> (long)==4... no
>
> which results in a compiler error:
>
> configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log for
> details
>
> This bug can be avoided by specifying --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> option to ./configure script, but without knowing that your whole LFS
> assembly stops.
>
> Coreutils 8.4
>
> uname -a
>
> Linux lfslivecd 2.6.22.5-64bit #1 SMP Thu Nov 29 07:28:23 GMT 2007
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> ------------------
>
> Looking at GMP. they have two scripts: config.guess and configfsf.guess.
> Their config.guess is returning athlon.
>
> You might want to try to run those to test the results.  Looking at the
> contents of config.guess, it looks like the cpu is being misidentified.
>
> I'd try copying configfsf.guess to overwrite config.guess and see if
> that makes a difference.  Also, what is the contents of `cat /proc/cpuinfo`
>
>   -- Bruce

Prashant R Keshvani,
Systems Software Engineer,
Cell :- 09227945799 (Surat)