cannot set root passwd

Mac Zero skizero at gmail.com
Tue May 18 10:58:35 PDT 2010

I've just completed an jhalfs (latest development version) script of
LFS-SVN20100506.  No errors were reported so I moved on to setting the root
password, editing /etc files, etc.

I entered to the chroot using the command in section 6.4, but when I try and
set the root password I get this:

root:/# passwd root

Changing password for root

Enter the new password (minimum of 5 characters)

Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.

Bad password: too short.

Warning: weak password (enter it again to use it anyway).

passwd: password changed.

The problem is I am not being prompted to enter a password. The command runs
and terminates immediately with the above output. The password appears to be
set (to what I do not know):

root:/# passwd -S root

root P 05/18/2010 0 99999 7 -1

root:/# cat /etc/passwd

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

bin:x:1:1:bin:/dev/null:/bin/false

nobody:x:99:99:Unprivileged User:/dev/null:/bin/false

Can anybody guide me in the right direction on how to correct this so I can
set a root password?

Thanks,

Mac