cannot set root passwd

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue May 18 11:40:45 PDT 2010

Mac Zero wrote:
> I've just completed an jhalfs (latest development version) script of
> LFS-SVN20100506.  No errors were reported so I moved on to setting the root
> password, editing /etc files, etc.
>
> I entered to the chroot using the command in section 6.4, but when I try and
> set the root password I get this:
>
> root:/# passwd root
> Changing password for root
> Enter the new password (minimum of 5 characters)
> Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
> Bad password: too short.
> Warning: weak password (enter it again to use it anyway).
> passwd: password changed.
>
> The problem is I am not being prompted to enter a password. The command runs
> and terminates immediately with the above output. The password appears to be
> set (to what I do not know):

It would appear that the keyboard input is not being picked.  I'm not
sure why, but check to see if /dev is populated correctly.  If you are
doing it from chroot after jhalfs, did you mount /dev into the chroot
environment?

See section 6.2.

> root:/# cat /etc/passwd
>
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> bin:x:1:1:bin:/dev/null:/bin/false
> nobody:x:99:99:Unprivileged User:/dev/null:/bin/false

Edit /etc/passwd to

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
     ^^

And root can log on without a password until you get things straightened
out.

   -- Bruce