LFS for old Compaq LTE 5300 laptop

Leho Pärnapuu joakim12 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 12:00:55 PDT 2010

2010/5/18 Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>

> Leho Pärnapuu wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have one old Laptop: Compaq LTE 5300.
> >
> > It has:
> > 133MHz CPU
> > 32MB RAM
> > 2167MB Hard Disk Drive
>
> With only 32MB RAM, Linux is going to be cramped.
> I'm pretty sure you won't be able to run an X Window
> system on there. If CLI is all you want, that may
> be ok. I've run Linux in 16 MB of RAM, so it can be
> done.

I want only CLI. Maybe i'll try some lightweight or minimal window manager.

> > PCMCIA TRENDnet Wireless CardBus IEEE 802.11b/2.4GHz
> > TEW-226PC
> >
> > It does not have boot option from CD, but does have from 1.44MB Floppy
> > drive.
> >
> > CD drive and Floppy drive are changeable - either one of them works at a
> > time.
> >
> > I have Win98 on there at the moment.
> >
> > Is it possible to compile the LFS on Desktop PC with:
> > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ CPU
> > And then copy the LFS to this old Laptop?
> >
> > Copy and install with tomsrtbt over the LAN.
>
> I've run TomsRTBT, but don't recall whether it has LAN
> capabilities.

I have never tried "tomsrtbt" before, but it has (dhcpcd, httpd, ifconfig,
network,
networks, nslookup, ping, route, rsh, rshd, telnet, telnetd, traceroute,
wget, and
mount). I think it has some networking capabilities.

If it has mount, then maybe it can mount NFS directories or maybe I can use
wget
to transfer LFS to that laptop.

I also have one COM and one LPT cable to connect two computers. This is also
one way of getting data from one to another computer. :) But it takes a long
long
time to copy 1 Gb over LPT.

Another possibility would be, if you can
> get an adapter which lets you install the laptop's disc
> in your regular machine, to use it directly.
>
> > Is it doable? Do I need to built it as CLFS or can I built as a regular
> LFS?
>
> If you build on a VM, you shouldn't have a problem, which
> is the way I would likely do it. CLFS seems like much more
> trouble and chances for mistakes.

I have never tried any VM before. I'll take a look on that.