LFS for old Compaq LTE 5300 laptop

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 18 22:12:38 PDT 2010

Leho Pärnapuu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have one old Laptop: Compaq LTE 5300.

Something to watch for with Compaq computers: They
don't like to boot other than the pre installed
OS. Some of them will complain that you have a corrupted
MBR and enter some sort of recovery mode if they
have other than the pre installed OS on them. Many
of them have the BIOS in a special disc sector
or partition. If you inadvertently overwrite it,
then you may wind up with a mostly unusable system.

I strongly recommend that you make some sort of raw
disc image before wiping that disc, and check that
it can be put back the way it is now without relying
upon the BIOS on the machine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.