Glibc fails to make. (error 2)

Kyle Brennan kyle_bren at live.com
Wed May 19 22:46:18 PDT 2010

On 05/19/2010 09:54 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Kyle Brennan wrote:
>
>> So I should be compiling in the sources folder.  that is probably why
>> the compile failed in the first place.  so for example my binutils pass
>> 1 directory would look like this: "$LFS/sources/binutils-2.20"
>>
> You can build anywhere you want, so long as it isn't $LFS/tools,
> $LFS/dev, etc.
>
> I happen not to like to build underneath the $LFS/sources directory.
> The usual way I do it is
>
> 	$LFS/sources			tarballs
> 	$LFS/build/package-version	extracted tarballs
>
> I then build in
>
> 	$LFS/build/package-version
>
> As a specific example,
>
> 	$LFS/build/binutils-2.20
>
> is the directory where I would extract the tarball and do the build.
> The CWD would be
>
> 	$LFS/build
>
> when I extract the tarball, and the extraction process creates
>
> 	$LFS/build/binutils-2.20
>
> I then
>
> 	$ cd binutils-2.20
> 	$ ./configure
> 	$ make
>
> That's a personal preference. You can do it anywhere,
> so long as it's not any of the other directories which
> eventually get used, like
>
> 	$LFS/dev
>
> Mike

thanks everyone.  I got to the same problem that i was at before
though.  I did work in the sources directory.  I got to GLibC and it ran
for about 45 minutes and then it threw this error at me: make: *** [all]
Error 2
It just came out of the /mnt/lfs/sources/glibc-2.11.1 directory.  which
is where the tarball is extracted.  I am wondering if it is because i
have a bad version of binutils.  i have 2.20.1 and it says that that
version has not been tested.  I have saved the entire build log as far
as the console will remember so that if anyone wants more info i can
give it to them.  my host system is a brand new ubuntu desktop 10.04
system and i updated it yesterday.