chapter 6.16: configure: error: in `/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':, ... C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Tue May 25 12:03:27 PDT 2010

On 25 May 2010 18:29, mhenriquezs at terra.cl <mhenriquezs at terra.cl> wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> I have a problem here at chapter 6 compiling gcc (6.16. GCC-4.4.3),
> after doing everithing else OK, even the "make check" of previous
> packages all OK, now trying to compile gcc I get:
>
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
> configure: error: in `/sources/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':
> configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
> See `config.log' for more details.
> make[1]: *** [configure-target-libgcc] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/gcc-build'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> in fact, there is no /lib/cpp :-S ...I know that the message says that I
> have to check "config.log" for more details, I do it, but in my
> ignorance I can't find any other useful info about the error on it :-P
> ..I also re-do, all steps from "Gcc pass 2" and I end up with the same
> error...

 The mention of /lib/cpp is probably a red herring - in my own logs
on x86_64 I have:

 What matters is the error(s) leading up to the 'fails sanity check'
message.  It's possible you have more than one 'config.log' - check
the subdirectories, search each config.log for 'fails sanity check'.

 I hope you're not re-using the gcc-build directory from a previous
stage ?

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"