LFS-6.6, Stage2, glibc, nscd.c:442

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:03:46 PDT 2010

Paul Rogers wrote:
> Have built LFS-4.1 & -6.1, trying to build -6.6 on -6.1.  Stage 1 seemed
> to go well.  Building glibc early in Stage2 failed.  I did a search, saw
> others had a similar problem, but didn't see a relevant solution.  The
> /scripts in my $PATH is where I put my cut&pasted "build scripts".
> Suggestions appreciated.  (I can supply my log.conf if relevant.)

> gcc res_hconf.c -c -std=gnu99 -fgnu89-inline -O2 -O3 -Wall -Winline

> /usr/local/src/glibc-build/nscd/nscd.o: In function `nscd_open_socket':
> /usr/local/src/glibc-2.11.1/nscd/nscd.c:442: undefined reference to
> `__stack_chk_guard'

We've seen this before and there was really no good answer.

I did some googling and I think this may be a kernel issue.  In the
kernel .config I am using, there is

# CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR is not set

I'm using an X86_64 and not a i686, so that may make a difference.

I found this reference:

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=xnu-1456.1.26;im=bigexcerpts;i=__stack_chk_guard

If your kernel was built with this parameter, you might want to try
building under another kernel that does not have this set.

Another thing to try might be to change the CFLAGS line to add
-fno-stack-protector

   -- Bruce