LFS-6.6, Stage2, glibc, nscd.c:442

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Fri May 28 10:46:14 PDT 2010

On 28 May 2010 05:21, linux fan <linuxscratch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I maintain some pure IDE drives as hdXn by using the config parameters:
> CONFIG_HAVE_IDE=y
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> in addition to:
> CONFIG_ATA=y
> CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=y
> CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=y
> for the SATAS as sdXn, providing the peaceful coexistence of both worlds.
>
> This old heap of harware just _won't_  stop working!
> I got from 2.6.18 to 2.6.32, over time, a few steps at a time and the
> technique was to:
> copy last good config to kernel souces .config
> make menuconfig
> change one thing and change it back (unless really changing something)
> "make menuconfig" pulls the relevant new vs. deprecated pieces into line.
> go through the whole menus with an eye on reality checking.

 Good advice.  I'd actually recommend 'make oldconfig' and then make
notes on *everything* that might be questionable, research, then set or
not in menuconfig, but that's just a variation - the important thing is not
to try to jump through too many different kernel versions in one go.

 Interestingly, on my resuscited ibook (powermac ide drives - I see those
are *now* in libata but I'm not sure when that happened) using the old ide
drives with essentially LFS-6.6 I didn't have any /dev/hd* devices.  It's
probably something I've broken in my scripts, but just in case it's a feature
of the newer udev I'll mention that I copped out - went back to chroot,
copied all the host's hd* devices to /lib/udev/devices..

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"