LFS-6.6, Stage2, glibc, nscd.c:442

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Sat May 29 07:31:51 PDT 2010

On 5/29/10, Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Since I cut and paste the book instructions into my build script
> template, albeit with ample instruction and organization for use in
> cloning the system too, I can provide them for the Stage 1 & 2 builds of
> gcc and glibc, if it would help to see EXACTLY what I have done.  I have
> read all of a similar thread from March and April on this topic and
> found no instruction, other than to avoid "pretty much".  I do want to
> get around this impediment and continue using LFS.

I closely examined you script and my eyes could not detect anything
about the ch6-glibc that would cause any difference from pure cut and
past to the command line. Something before that must have set up the
conditions leading to the trouble. Everyone has been assuming that
host system requirements (HSR) are all met, and (in ch6) the kernel
virtual filesystems are properly mounted and you are running in
chroot.

I'll throw this at it:
I could not build linux-2.6.18 with the newer gcc's. To build it, I
installed gcc-3.3.6 in order to build it. I chose gcc-3.3.6 because of
an article comparing gcc's which indicated that 3.3.6 had a history of
stability. I used 2.6.18.8 for a long time because because the
SATA_PROMISE maintainer remapped the ports on TX4 which fouled me up.
But I haven't used 2.6.18 for over 6 months now.

HSR say Linux Kernel-2.6.18 (having been compiled with GCC-3.0 or
greater) ... true   (y) _

The __stack_chk_guard which is only seen by grep in gcc, must have
gotten built in at some earlier step or possibly bled in from the
2.6.18 kernel (i think) you said you built to begin the lfs build.

I built lfs running from the livecd which has kernel 2.6.22.5.
For speed (unless little memory), at the boot prompt,
boot:linux toram

Once at the # (root) prompt, set a password for root.
# passwd root
# su - jhalfs
$ echo "Xft.dpi: 96" > .Xresources
$ startxfce4

... might need to tweak /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...

You can begin at the beginning and even use your scripts. If it still
fails, your hardware or you scripts must have anomalies. Once it's
build, you could even build linux-2.6.18.8 (using gcc 3.3.6), if
desired.