[lfs-support] Cannot open root device "sda1"

brown wrap gramos at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 06:52:55 PST 2012

I am using LFS 7.0. I have completed everything just trying to boot the system. When I do boot,it panics and  I get:

Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown=block(2,0)

hda1
hda2
hda3
hda4

My grub.cfg looks just like the one in the book. On the same machine, I booted into Fedora, which was using a 2.6 kernel and used lspci to see which drivers I needed, and included those. I did build the grub cd so I can boot from that and try different approaches. I am trying to figure out if I am missing a driver, or I have grub.cfg misconfigured.