[lfs-support] glibc tests errors

mais lfs maislfs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 13:48:06 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 07:57:49PM +0200, mais lfs wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > >  Take a look in glibc-check-log from the *host* system.
> >
> > Don't have 'less' available yet, so is using:
> > grep -B5 Error glibc-check-log
>
>  I know you don't have less or vim in chroot, that's why I said to
> use it from the host.  But, you've found the error.
> >
> > with which I found:
> > ..
> > error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared
> > object file: No such file or directory
> > ..
> > but:  find / -name 'libgcc_s*'  gives
> > /sources/glibc-2.14.1/sysdeps/generic/libgcc_s.h
> > /tools/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> > /tools/lib/libgcc_s.so
>
>  To confirm the problem, your really DO have to go back to the host
> system, then run ldd /mnt/lfs/tools/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>
>  I'm guessing it's linked against one or more host libraries in
> /usr/lib.  If so, something went badly wrong.
>
>  I'm not in favour of the 'repeat, hoping it will work this time',
> approach.  I do think you will have to start again, from the
> beginning, but if you can gather information about what you did
> wrong, you will know what to do differently next time.
>
>  The problem with (only) libgcc_s doesn't ring any bells for me.  I
> wonder if in fact other packages in chapter 5 have been linked to
> the host.  You can try running ldd on some binaries in /tools/bin and
> some shared libraries in /tools/lib - pick one of either from each
> package, starting with binutils pass 2 (section 5.9) and then for
> random later packages.
>
>  If they are all linked to /usr/lib, something went wrong in section
> 5.8, 'Adjusting the Toolchain'.  If the problem is only with some,
> or all, packages after binutils pass 2, then I suspect you took a
> break, but didn't correctly restore the environment when you
> resumed.

Thx Ken
I suspect your suspect is correct. I've been sitting doing this in one go
when I should have taken regular breaks. What I'm going to do now is
print out 10 or so pages at a time, do what's on them & tick the steps off
as I do them, and then take a break before I do the next set of pages.

I'm going to keep the broken attempt - got more than enough diskspace
 to create more partitions - so I can later (maybe) as an exercise
try and find my mistake when I understand the whole a bit better.

Doing the building two or three times can only help me understand things
better. Anyway I wonder if anybody ever did the build right the first time,
in only a single go?