[lfs-support] Cannot open root device "sda1"

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jan 3 02:54:44 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 08:42 -0800, brown wrap wrote:

> Actually, I answered my own question, I changed fstab to hda and that
> allowed it to boot. I don't quite understand it, since I thought hda
> was for scsi and this is an ols laptop which uses IDE.

Other way around. Traditionally, 'hd' was for IDE and 'sd' was for SCSI,
though under a modern kernel, pretty much everything should be using
'sd'. That includes USB devices, SATA, and these days, most IDE drives
too.

If your LFS kernel is using 'hd' but Fedora uses 'sd', you're probably
*not* using the same drivers. You're using the older one (under the
ATA/IDE section in the kernel configuration), and they're using the
newer one (under SATA/PATA), or something like that). Both may work, but
the former are considered obsolete.

Simon.