[lfs-support] date timezone "issue" during portion of build

David Gay davidwgay at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 12:30:12 PST 2012

(I thought I sent this email a few days ago, but I don't see it on the list - so I hope this isn't a redundant post. Anyway...)

I don't know if this is an actual issue, or if it's simply an expected by-product of the build process, but it's bugging the heck out of me not knowing!

During part of the build, after coreutils is installed in section 5.18, until coreutils is installed in section 6.23, the date command will only return a UTC time.  ie:

     Fri Dec 30 15:00:00 UTC 2011
instead of:
     Fri Dec 30 10:00:00 EST 2011

It seems to have something to do with the the date command that's installed is 5.18 coreutils (tools/usr/bin/date).   That is, if the host's date is called directly,ie: by typing "/bin/date" instead of just "date", then the expected date, with my local TZ, is displayed.

This only seems to affect the lfs user, or while in the chroot.  And in both cases only until 6.23.  Using another terminal window or virtual console, and logged in as root, date returns the expected time and timezone (EST for me).

I am fairly certain that this is not an actual issue with any of the instructions provided by the book, or even with the resulting build, as when all is said and done, the new LFS system works just fine, date and all.  It just really annoys me during that time when the time is not my time. :)

Finally, while I am currently using LFS 7.0, this "issue" has persisted for me since I started LFS a couple years ago, including book versions 6.5, 6.6, and 6.7.  Additionally, it occurs even under numerous host systems, including: Arch, Mint, PCLOS, and even using previous LFS builds as the host.

So, if anyone has an suggestions as to what I might check, even just a general direction, I would be grateful.

Thanks for any help!

David