[lfs-support] date timezone "issue" during portion of build

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 3 14:51:19 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:30:12PM -0800, David Gay wrote:
> (I thought I sent this email a few days ago, but I don't see it on the list - so I hope this isn't a redundant post. Anyway...)

 I haven't seen it.

> I don't know if this is an actual issue, or if it's simply an expected by-product of the build process, but it's bugging the heck out of me not knowing!
>
> During part of the build, after coreutils is installed in section 5.18, until coreutils is installed in section 6.23, the date command will only return a UTC time.  ie:
>
>      Fri Dec 30 15:00:00 UTC 2011
> instead of:
>      Fri Dec 30 10:00:00 EST 2011

[ snipped here ]

 Most of us won't notice this, because we don't run 'date' during
the build (or, not in that term/tty).  As you say, in other terms /
ttys the expected date will be shown.  I don't know if it's an
expected by-product of how we build, but it seems (from *your*
experience) that we should expect it.

 Is it causing you a problem (e.g. unexpected results in your
scripts) ?  If not, I see no reason to worry.

ĸen