[lfs-support] Nobody has received the fatal error missing gmp.h in coreutils-8.14

Rick Shelton rick.shelton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:59:50 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Matijn Woudt <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM,  <jasonpsage at jegas.com> wrote:
>>
>> I posted earlier, and I don't expect speedy response but I was hoping
>> someone would say yay or Nay.
>>
>> compiling: coreutils-8.14 I get:
>>
>> expr.c:54:18 fatal error : gmp.h: no such file or directory
>>

>> Sounds kind of serious to me... has anyone see this before? Or is it me,
>> my linux host or something?
>>
>> Thank You
>> Jason
>>

> My guess would be that you did something wrong with the installation
> of GCC. There are special instructions for GMP, MPFR and MPC packages,
> are you did that correctly? The commands should be executed from
> inside the GCC source directory.
>
> Matijn
> --

More generally, any time there is an error related to a missing file
or directory, begin by identifying the source of that file or
directory. In this case a header file is missing. Missing headers
usually indicate a missing dependency, a library or some such. Missing
can mean two things: either the thing-that-is-missing is completely
absent or the thing-that-wants-it is looking in the wrong place.

So once the source is identified, an appropriate interpretation of
"missing" can be ... traced and stuff can ... do ... yawn ... find the
... environment ... mmm ...

~rick